Sunday, November 11, 2007

Mystery Produce!!

Azerbaijan is the land of interesting produce... Here are some examples.
Not produce, but a pretty purple flower in front of an outhouse at an IDP (Internally Displaced People) camp in Barda. I thought it was pretty. The flower, not the outhouse.
The cabbage here is HUGE. I mean really, really huge! It puts the word "head" to shame, because it's the size of a yoga ball!
Persimmons are in season now. It's kind of disappointing, because I always think they are orange trees, but alas, they are persimmons. I like oranges better.
Speaking of orange... here's a crazy purple carrot held by the beautiful Mere who lives in Barda. Who ever heard of a purple carrot?!?
These are the true mysteries. We found the bumpy thing in a square in Mingechevir and picked it up. There are a bunch that fell from the tree. We are scared to eat it. The little thing is in abundance in the bazaar. It tastes familiar, but like a candy I've eaten.

If anyone can identify these fruits, you win!!! Please leave a comment if you know what they are!

4 comments:

Kenton Henry said...

I googled "bumpy green fruit" and found something that looks like that fruit: osage-orange (there's a wiki page for it). Then I saw a picture that looked like your mystery fruit, but is was called a Custard Apple (some Thai fruit). I think it looks more like an osage-orange from the pictures though. Do I win? :)

Anonymous said...

The green brain is an Osage Orange, The other one looks kinda like a wierd mango...

Anonymous said...

I think I've seen those growing at the Maryhill Museum in the Gorge.

Unknown said...

I know it's been awhile since the last comment and you've probably researched the Osage Orange, but here's my favorite quote from Wikipedia: "Although not strongly poisonous, eating it may cause vomiting." I hope you didn't eat it. Good luck with other strange fruit :-)