Thursday, February 14, 2008

Politics

Hello friends and family! Carolyn here. I just wanted to say a little bit about the elections going on in the States right now. It's the first time I can remember that so much emphasis has been placed on the primaries. It seems like there's a media frenzy going on over there, on the other side of the world!

It feels strange to be so separated from all that's happening. I bet you can't turn on the TV, radio or walk down the street without being bombarded with campaign news, ads, signs, and more! Because we're here, we have to actually seek out news and information.

So, what did I do? I searched! I'm still not 100% decided, but I wanted to share a link. I'm sure most people know about the League of Women Voters and how they stive to bring unbiased information to the voting public. I've just spent some time on their website and feel it is a good way to learn about candidates and issues. http://www.vote411.org/

I hope everyone is having a nice Valentine's Day! Jesse is in Baku for a conference, and I'm in Mingechevir, so that's kind of sad, but oh well! We will have a nice dinner of baked potatoes or something when he gets back on saturday!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good blog, Carolyn, and you are right about being overwelmed by info this primary season.

Laura came to my homeroom at Madison yesterday and is singing around town tonight at different restaurants. That's her Happy Valentines to Eugene!

Can't beat Baked potatoes!

Love,
Mom (E)

Jax said...

hi carolyn, its me, jacque. haha. i just wanted you to know that ive had my own temptations and have occasionally checked out your guys' blog. i have to say that it looks like you guys are on an awesome adventure right now! and maybe when you get back we can all play some games together. got to mix it up because katrina always wins ;-)

Angela said...

Hey! Thanks for the comment. I enjoyed reading through yours also! I didn't know about it until just now . . . I love it that you are in Azerbaijan!
Angela

Anonymous said...

Yes, politics are all over the place now, I guess there's nothing better for the news to cover, like the war or anything....anywho....its kind of exciting I get to vote in a primary in a couple of weeks that will actually count for something, I've never voted in a primary before.
I'm glad you have a warmed house, we are going to do the same thing next weekend!
For our Valentines Erik and I had PB&J, just fyi :)
Love,
Heather

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn... I just thought I'd leave a comment and let you know that I've been keeping tabs on your Azerbaijan adventures -- just not always responding! We had primaries (or whatever) a few weeks ago right before a humongous snow storm, and I didn't vote...ahem. :) I was stuck at work all day. But it's nuts around here with Obama being from Illinois.

So anyway, thanks for your email and I love reading about what you guys are up to! :)